EDUTEL HIGHER EDUCATION
Diploma in Grade R Teaching
Diploma in Grade R Teaching, NQF level 6, SAQA ID 109561
The Diploma in Grade R Teaching is offered through distance learning over 3 years – full time or 4 years – part time.
The Diploma in Grade R Teaching has been developed to meet specific national needs to provide prospective, as well as existing grade R teachers, to equip themselves with specific knowledge and appropriate skills; i.e.
1. Specialisation in Home Language teaching, together with English as First Additional language teaching. All students must study a Second Additional
Language to meet the language requirements relating to conversational competence.
2. An ability to identify barriers to learning in early childhood and develop appropriate teaching and learning programmes to meet the needs of the
3. Develop the skill to adapt to multiple backgrounds and learning needs.
4. Supervised and assessed teaching practice.
5. Professional development as a teacher to teach grade R children effectively.
6. Teaching practice (Workplace integrated learning). WIL is a compulsory part of the programme where students spend four consecutive weeks of supervised teaching practice at schools.